Cake 20 cm / 8-inch cake pan 2 cans (á 285 g) black beans 20 fresh dates, pitted 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted 1 tsp vanilla extract a tiny pinch of salt 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cacao powder) 2 tsp baking powder
Chocolate Cashew Frosting 3/4 cup raw cashew nuts, soaked 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted 2-3 tbsp coconut syrup 1 tbsp raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cacao powder) 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375F / 175C degrees and cover the cake pan with baking paper. Rinse and drain the black beans thoroughly.
2. Add the black beans, dates, cashew milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. Use the tamper or mix the dough with a spoon every now and then in order to get the batter smooth. Or if you prefer, you could also puree the ingredients in a big bowl using a hand blender.
3. Scoop the dough into a bowl, add the cocoa powder and baking powder and stir until smooth. You can taste the dough and add some more cacao powder or sweetener, if you like. Spoon the mixture into the cake pan and bake for about 50 minutes. Prepare the chocolate frosting in the meantime.
4. Rinse and drain the cashews. Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Start by adding as little liquid as possible in order to get a really thick frosting. Taste, and add more cacao or sweetener if necessary. Scrape the frosting in a small bowl and place in refrigerator for a moment to thicken.
5. When the cake is done, take it from the oven and allow to cool thoroughly. The longer it cools, the better it will be and it’s best to store in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving. Once you’re ready to serve, decorate the cake for example with the chocolate frosting, fresh blueberries, coconut flakes and chocolate shavings. Serve, and enjoy!